The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum idea...

4 posters

Go down

Forum idea... Empty Forum idea...

Post by Love2read Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm

I've been tossing around this idea for a while now...

What about putting together a forum for railroading animals? It would allow people to co-ordinate RR's based up when they're traveling or when they're going to fly animals.

Example #1: a member is planning a trip, let's say from Illinois to Florida, and they'll have some spare room in their car and are willing to transport a few animals with them. They could make a post on the forum saying where they'll be traveling to/from, what their route will be, and what types/how many animals they would be willing to transport. Then if there is anyone who needs animals transported along that route they could post or PM the person.

Example #2: a breeder will be flying an animals(s) from one state to another...well, if they're small animals then you can easily fit multiple animals in one crate while still staying under the 10lb limit(the cost goes up over 10lbs). If the breeder posted about it they might be able to find other people wanting to fly animals to/near the same place and could co-ordinate it to allow the animals to fly together(in the same crate, but different containers inside the crate, of course). That would MAJORLY cut down on the flying costs because the cost would be split up amongst multiple people instead of just one.

My husband pointed out that people might take advantage of this system and try and steal animals or transport sick animals and that is, of course, always a risk. I think it would be wise to set up some type of reputation on the boards that shows how many times a member has successfully transported animals and whether or not there were any problems.

Also, I think that it would have to be made clear that the board is not liable for any problems that may occur and that health checks are always suggested before transporting any animals together. Some airlines, such as Delta, actually REQUIRE written proof of health from a vet before they transport animals, so that's a plus for those wanting to ship animals.

Anyways, I think that something like this would be a HUGE hit and it could be spread across all types of forums, not just mice. I myself belong to both mouse and sugar gliders forums and I'm sure there are many members here who belong to forums for animals of other types and they would probably love to have access to a forum like that as well.

So, what do you guys think? Anyone up for the task of putting together something like that? I've been tempted to do it myself and even downloaded all the stuff I need for it and already have a website, so it would be easy to get it up and running, but it's been so long since I've done any full-scale website work that I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and would probably make a big mess of it. tongue

I thought of some fun names though: "The Forum Fur Travelers" or "The Traveler's Furum". A bit goofy, I know, lol, but I would love to hear some more creative ideas since I stink at names!
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Forum idea... Empty Re: Forum idea...

Post by inkeduptara Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 am

I think that is a great idea. I have helped RR many chinchillas and other small rodents to new homes, as far up as Conneticut and I was part of one that helped move chins from Canada, down the east coast and over to Louisianna Big smile The chins even stayed with me for 2 weeks at one point till someone else could get them.

I love it!

inkeduptara
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:29 pm

So you're looking for like a mouse/animal train section? We have one already! Happy

http://www.themouseconnection.org/f24-rodent-train-transport
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I remember a rat train moving from the east coast all the way out to Ontario...crazy. Happy
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down