The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black x black hooded

3 posters

Go down

Black x black hooded Empty Black x black hooded

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

There's someone nearby who realized after two months of owning her rats that one is female and the other is male. Dad is black self, mother is black hooded (according to the ad that is). Am I right in thinking the bubs will be merely a mix of the two? I was thinking about taking the potentially pregnant mother in as I've done this before (fostered and rehomed babies) but I know life would be really tricky if they're "common" colours.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Black x black hooded Empty Re: Black x black hooded

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Hooded is recessive, and so is black. So if the parents aren't carrying anything else, then you will most likely get all black babies. It's possible that the mother, and father could carry a pink eye dilution or mink dilution, or some other very common recessive genes, so nobody can predict for sure. Happy

If the mother carries hooded, then you will also get hooded in the litter, but if not, then you will not.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:22 pm

So, roughly 75% self and 25% hooded?

Yikes. I'm going to guess these two are siblings. Unless they're dumbo eared I'd imagine it would be a tough go homing this lot. Sad But the ad has a lot of hits so perhaps she's already got a home for them. And I can resume obsessing over my mice. Wink I keep delaying putting the buck and doe together out of nerves! (currently fretting over not being able to sex the pinkies)

Thanks!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

There should be 100% black. a/a + a/a only = more a/a Happy

There will be no hooded unless the father is a carrier.
If the father is a carrier, then you should see 50% hooded.

Last edited by Rhasputin on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm

hooded is not a normal recessive..... H is the wild type allele, h is the hooded allele, it is codominant and has a bunch of modifiers. H/h is berkshire, h/h is hooded (it is more complicated than that b/c of the modifiers...but to keep it simple...). The only way to get a self rat is with H/H. If mom is hooded, and dad is self, the babies should all be berkshire.

Depending what the parents carry its entirely possible they'd produce mink berks or pew's....if they are from pet store lines, both genes are pretty common. If they aren't carrying anything, then the babies should all be black berkshires.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Whoops! Thanks for filling in the blanks, rat genetics aren't my strong point, but I try~ Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:22 pm

I still can't keep all the rat stuff straight b/c a lot of rat people use completely wrong/non-terminology...

It doesn't even compare to dog genetics though....lol There are the few basic, simple genes....but a lot of dog color/marking genetics are really complicated and waaaaaaaaaaaay less studied than rodent genetics....lol

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Awww I love mink. The girl never replied though so I guess she found a place for them! Thanks for answering though! Happy I completely forgot that berk is H/h!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down