The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No litters

+5
Laigaie
lunalady
tinyhartmouseries
Love2read
Rhasputin
9 posters

Go down

No litters Empty No litters

Post by Rhasputin Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

Gosh, it feels like forever since I've had my last litter here. Sad

The last pairing I put together was a pair of hairless mice a few weeks ago, but the doe seems to have reabsorbed the babies or something. I have my Abyssinian mice paired together, as well as the rumpwhite buck in with a black and an agouti doe. . . The suspense! I can't wait for the UK mice to breed, that will be a huge accomplishment.

Waiting is so painful! I can't wait to see some babies over here!
Hissy fit
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

No litters Empty Re: No litters

Post by Love2read Wed May 23, 2012 1:25 pm

You're breeding 2 hairless together? :/

Wouldn't it be better to breed them out or to carriers so that you can get bigger, healthier babies?

Even with breeding only carriers I end up with dinky little TH babies. It's driving me crazy! I can't imagine trying to breed 2 TH together... I know you don't get as many TH with carriers, but at least they're bigger and healthier in the end.
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

It must be the weather change. I always have one or two problems does right away in the spring.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Love2read wrote:You're breeding 2 hairless together? :/

Wouldn't it be better to breed them out or to carriers so that you can get bigger, healthier babies?

Even with breeding only carriers I end up with dinky little TH babies. It's driving me crazy! I can't imagine trying to breed 2 TH together... I know you don't get as many TH with carriers, but at least they're bigger and healthier in the end.

Breeding them to carriers doesn't make a difference in the health of the offspring. tongue
The only potential problems with TH is the possibility of the mothers having nursing problems, which these lines don't seem to have. I haven't had any problems with dinky babies. . . Other than right when they shed, they seem to lose a little weight, but it's probably just the transition between fur and naked. tongue
Everyone seems to have luck with these hairless mice nursing, and I have previously before this pairing as well. It makes it easier to breed in type when I have more options on who to breed to who! Happy

Also, turns out she is still pregnant, I guess I just figured she'd be further along than she is, but I checked on her a little while ago, and she's looking plump!
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Fri May 25, 2012 8:01 am

You must post photos?? Abby Mice. Wow!!! I would love to get one those!! Put me on a future list. Yes Yes.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Fri May 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Stina sounded like she'd have some third gens available by the end of the summer, and those won't be outcrossed, since both imported does went to her.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 pm

It's going to be a while before any Abys are available, I'd think.

As much as I'm sure we'd both love to give them out as soon as they're weaned, we have to make sure we have enough back stock to keep the lines running smoothly before we can pass them out. Happy

Same goes for the rumpwhites, though this will be easier since it's a dominant gene. Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri May 25, 2012 5:35 pm

I only wish I actually had both does that belong to me....

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Fri May 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Just my humble opinion here, but if the goal is to spread the genes in the US, wouldn't it make more sense to not have all the eggs in one basket? If only one person (or two people) has all the abys or rump whites, isn't there a lot of room for disaster there? What if illness wipes out the colony or something happens to the mousery room or one of the billion other things that could happen?

Half the mice I reserved for RF didn't even make it to me because of issues like that (Note: I'm not blaming the breeders- I'm just saying that things happen).
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri May 25, 2012 5:52 pm

doganddisc wrote:Just my humble opinion here, but if the goal is to spread the genes in the US, wouldn't it make more sense to not have all the eggs in one basket? If only one person (or two people) has all the abys or rump whites, isn't there a lot of room for disaster there? What if illness wipes out the colony or something happens to the mousery room or one of the billion other things that could happen?

Half the mice I reserved for RF didn't even make it to me because of issues like that (Note: I'm not blaming the breeders- I'm just saying that things happen).

It's not the plan to keep all the eggs in one basket, it's just that the original breeders need to create a base stock, so that they can assure that they can breed more in the future.
If someone gave their litter away completely, and then had their only buck die, it would put them in a predicament.
Though, I do see your point.

EDIT: On a side note, I'm very sorry to hear that you had trouble with some of your RF finds. Sad
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Fri May 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm not talking giving the litter completely away- but rehoming one or two from a litter couldn't hurt! Happy

The RF thing wasn't a big deal. I just have to get creative to get what I want color-wise, but I'm learning a heck of a lot about genetics along the way!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Good to hear you're learning! It's really exciting once all the information starts to fall into place, isn't it? Happy

Giving out a few extras, is reasonable, obviously. But only if the litter produces a good M / F ratio, if the mothers can raise a large enough litter, if the litter is large enough to begin with, etc.

The blacks and tans and reds will be easier to pass out, because we imported a lot more of them, I think. Happy

I wish we could just run these things through a Xerox and make copies!!!
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 pm

As long as we're wishing, I wish we could email mice!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Mousemail would be great! Like Willy Wonka did with the chocolate bars!
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Haha! Mouse exchange would be easier! Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat May 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Rhasputin wrote: As much as I'm sure we'd both love to give them out as soon as they're weaned, we have to make sure we have enough back stock to keep the lines running smoothly before we can pass them out. Happy

But you don't have any to give out. You've said that you own no Aby does. Your Abys will have to be outcrossed and bred back, producing mice that are 75% British. That's why I mentioned Stina's, as unless she's planning on sending you does from her litters, she's the only one who'll have 100% Brtitish Abys. I suppose, though, that with the rarity of the variety, having 100% British ones doesn't make as much difference as it does with some other varieties. Mostly, it's the gene that needs to make it around.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Right now, nobody has any to give out. tongue
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun May 27, 2012 12:10 am

My abbeys from Holland/ germany always acted as a dom gene. Unfortunately I had other issues going on at the time and the few I gave to others were never bred. Not that they couldn't , they just were not. I hope to get some in about a year from a friend of mine out there. But we will see.

They are one of my favorite varities as well as Dutch and rump white.

kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Sun May 27, 2012 12:17 am

Dominant? Really? Shocked
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult