The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mites! :( :(

+3
madmouse
kawmice
doganddisc
7 posters

Go down

Mites! :( :(  Empty Mites! :( :(

Post by doganddisc Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 am

So I noticed a bit of hair loss on one of my bucks about a week ago and consulted his breeder about the issue. I purchased topical Ivermectin and have treated twice now- spraying each individual mouse and the cage as a whole. I've also been changing bedding more frequently.

Some of my mice are starting to lose their fur though. This girl is the small baby from the litter I had the sickly beige girl in.

Mites! :( :(  197685_3616782331091_1654698416_n

Does she look completely awful or is it just mite hair loss that will grow back after I've done the treatment?
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Mites! :( :(  Empty Re: Mites! :( :(

Post by kawmice Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 am

Are they scratching? Mites usually do not cause hair loss unless the,mice are scratching. It could be lice. Sad

Just continue treating all the mice and bedding. Also put your bag of bedding in the freezer. Most likely this came from the petstore bedding. Freezing will help kill whatever is in it.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:02 pm

I've never used topical ivermetin, so I can't vouch for it effectiveness, but the 1.87% horse dewormer ivermectin paste seems to cure whatever parasitical problems I have- itching, hair-loss, redness, scabs, crustiness. Itching generally stops within two days, noticable hair re-growth in about a week.

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Topical Ivermectin is really common use, it'll almost always clear up mites in 6 weeks, using it once or twice a week.

I would not personally deal with the paste, I hope you are not giving it orally because that has been known to be toxic.

As far as the hair loss, it's possibly either mites or ringworm, you can treat ringworm with a tea tree oil spray.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm

tinyhartmouseries wrote: I hope you are not giving it orally because that has been known to be toxic.

I do use it orally, and yes, I have heard it can be toxic. But when I was a teenager helping out at a mom & pop pet shop, they used the paste orally on all rodents (rats, mice, guinea pigs, rabbits [I know they're lagomorphs lol]. I've never had a problem with it, and have even in severe cases [where the infestation is causing major health problems] used it on pregnant and nursing mothers (whose pups are approaching weaning) without illness or loss of life. I give one dose (about a mouthful size dallop depending on the creature) then sterilize all cages and toys. Two weeks later I repeat the process. It's always worked well for me. I only recently heard of the topical type; can someone give instructions for its use? It would be so much less stressful than forcefeeding paste to the poor little guys.

ps: The only reason I have experience treating preggo mice with ivermectin is the shop I worked with was the town dumping ground for small unwanted animals, many of whom had long-neglected health problems.

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Part of your issue may be the length of the fur. After spraying the mice, are you ruffling the fur to get the dampness to the skin? With really long fur, their bodies will be insulated from the chemical, and skin-level parasites may not be treated.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 pm

If you get pour on cattle Ivermectin from a feed store, you can dilute it 5 parts water, one part Ivermectin. Spray on. Or, use one or two drops pure. Repeat once or twice a week for 6 weeks, even if it looks like it's cleared up.

I would just hesitate to use that paste. There are oral dewormers that work for mice but I would not 100% trust the oral Ivermectin.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you so much for the advice guys!

They are scratching- I don't actually see any bugs on them though. I'll check again with a magnifying glass a little later.

I have them being treated with pour on cattle Ivermectin- diluted 5 parts water, 1 part Ivermectin as recommended by Tinyhart. If I don't see anything clearing up within the next few weeks should I try the paste? Or maybe the pour on undiluted?
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Hey tinyhart! Thanks for the topical directions! I'll give it a try next time I need it. No sense in taking a risk with the oral stuff if I don't have to.

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:18 am

you are welcome madmouse!
And doganddisc, I don't remember which is which, but I do not think that mites can be seen well with the human eye.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am

Hi I keep recommending this to everyone lol but diamatcous earth wks for mites better than ivermectin from my experience and its super safe Happy If you have any questions feel free to im me, I'm not on here alot. Hope it all works out!

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

http://reginanjacobsmousehouse.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

I use bird or reptile mite and lice spray. Plus I use cat revolution off label.

I stay away from ivermectin because of the possible (but rare in mice) side effects. It is however the leading choice of most breeders.

I have also used diamatcous earth in the past.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Thank you for the input everyone Happy

I went out and bought diatomaceous earth today. I'll be using that with the ivermectin- hopefully between the two things, it will get rid of the problem!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by buttonhead Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 am

Happy How did the diatomaceous earth work? How did you apply it? Our mouse has hair loss from itching and scratching as well. He won't hold still long enough for me to see any mites, even when I gave him a bath, I couldn't see anything. I'd appreciate any info.

buttonhead
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down