The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updated photos of my little ladies

4 posters

Go down

Updated photos of my little ladies Empty Updated photos of my little ladies

Post by seafolly Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm

https://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/pynbahl/Adult%20mice%20F1/

Still trying to figure out who to breed back to beige dad. Happy I finally found a breeder in my province who's expressed interest in adding blue to her gene pool so I'm not sure if I'll just sell her my blue female or actually breed another litter. I'm finally settled in a house so it's time for me to start getting serious!

p.s. I have NO idea where everyone went. Is everyone having super busy summers? Even FMB is mostly vacant when it comes to the regular posters.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Updated photos of my little ladies Empty Re: Updated photos of my little ladies

Post by Laigaie Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:08 am

Pretty girls! I've no experience with blue and beige in combination, so I can't suggest anything.

Also, my life has been crazy because I'm working nights full time and doing classes during the day and also dating. That's kinda the vast majority of my waking time. Big smile
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks! Happy They grew up well. I definitely see the benefit of keeping litters small as they look quite robust compared to their mother who's always been a bit of a wisp. I thiiiiink someone on FMB said the blue girl would likely produce some more blue, but another person off FMB said the beige might muddy the blue so...I have no idea. The unfortunate part is I adore her head the most. It's the most compact for the lack of a better term.

Oh my, that is busy! What classes are you taking? I'm on a brief break before taking on statistics (please shoot me now and put me out of my misery) and a physiology course. And perhaps chem and physics. Sad Needless to say I finally purchased an XBox after 2 years of dwelling on it to promote the "I'm not in school for two weeks. YES TIME WASTING!" And oooo dating! I shall have to live vicariously through you as my own partner works long hours and has little time for the actual dating component. Working nights doesn't sound too enjoyable but my body is pretty darn sensitive to lack of sleep. : / It's the only reason I'm unsure about paramedics right now!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:15 am

Beige + blue == smoke, if I remember FinnMouse correctly. It sounded like a pretty color, but I don't think they had a photo. Either way, you should be able to extract the beige from her offspring if she's bred to more black-based beige.

I'm taking American History TO and FROM 1877 (separate classes), Intro to International Relations, and Sociology. I already have my degree, but I needed more stuff before I could enter the MAT program. So, I take classes online whenever I have time. Which is only when I schedule things. The world is complicated, but planning helps. I don't think I could do EMS work. Too many late nights!
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:44 am

Oh thank you! I think the interested breeder suggested silver but for all I know that's the same thing? I've never seen it either. I do so love her head but if I wind up with black babies I'm assuming they won't be homed easily. The concept my little brain is struggling most with is what happens when breeding daughter to father. I understand it's breeding for recessives but what would that mean with the pied RY? Her mother was a pied RY but if the recessives become more statistically possible, I don't think I can compare the results of the original litter to the hypothetical one with a daughter, could I? I'm longing for my genetics textbook that's an hour away at my parents' house, haha.

Oh fantastic! I'd be particularly interested in "to" 1877. I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 now (nerd alert) and absolutely love the history they piled into that game. I loved Sociology but it was different from my biology courses so perhaps that was why. May I ask what MAT is? A masters I assume? I'm with you on the online courses...a necessary evil that I'm dreading so much I've yet to fill out the paperwork and it's already September. *sigh* However, by August I should be finished with the BSc. In theory. I hear ya with the late nights! The worst part I think is how it's not just night shift - they switch it up every few weeks so your body never gets settled. If only there was a strictly daytime EMS career. Happy
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 pm

When breeding father to daughter, you increase your chances of getting genes that BOTH carry. If the daughter's mother was pied RY, and the father is a self non-RY, you're less likely to get pied or RY out of the daughter when she's bred to the father. Does that make sense? Also, black mice aren't nearly as hard to home as PEWs, but homing pets depends almost entirely on market, advertising, and temperament.

I haven't played Assassin's Creed (1 or 2), though I just got started playing Persona 3 on the portable. SO much psychology. MAT is basically a Masters in teaching. About the EMS thing, maybe after you've been in for years, they let you do all nights? Or all days? Swing shift is just hard no matter what you do.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Your posts are always so helpful. I was searching online for the answer you provided so easily, haha. So on that train of thought...if I bred the blue to the beige dad, since she's long haired and he must carry it, there would statistically be long haired babies in part? I wonder where her idea of silver came in. Hm. Unless the blue cools the beige...?
It's funny, I'd pick PEW over black. Big smile Then again all my PEW mice were so laid back, couldn't help loving them. I must admit I love pied (or rather, marked mice). Naturally most people would just say, "Oh heck I'll breed both." But I don't believe there's a huge market for mice here.

Oh boy, I just looked up Persona 3 and it looks quite complex. My only complaint with AC2 is it's quite linear. It's obvious what needs to be done to me. Whereas games like Zelda stump me sometimes.

OH I should have learned that. In my city a lot of my friends have their MAT but are still unemployed so are moving to the States and beyond. Sad
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 am

Blue+beige would be "smoke", which is to my understanding a silvery color, though not silver (in the sense of pink-eyed blue). The blue takes some of the warmth out of beige. If dad is where daughter got her longhair, you'd definitely be more likely to get them out of her when bred back.

Around here, PEWs are assumed to be snake food, no matter how big and pretty and typey they are. I never have trouble finding places for mice to go, but I don't mind putting them down for snake food, so that's less of an issue for me.

Persona 3 is thus far pretty seriously complex. I'm not sure it's for me, but I got started playing it by a girl, and I'll do a lot to understand somebody better if they, um, interest me. Big smile

Yeah... I have a bachelor's in Geography, which was useful when I started, but with the economy thing happening, a good few major planning firms went belly-up and most governments can't afford to hire them anyway, so my entire field went away. To apply for a 40hr unpaid internship, you'd better have 3yrs experience or a graduate degree. I can't suck that up, so teaching it is. I can do Teach for America and have my loans forgiven after a few years of teaching in some hickville part of Arkansas. And, really, I wouldn't mind that. Have a farm, foster some kids, my lady could commute, and make a difference somewhere. I could handle that.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Link doesn't work for me! Sad Want to see the pretty babies!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1316

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1309

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1310

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1314
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Thank you Laigaie! Sorry if the link is being tricky! Here's the other daughter:

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1323
Daughter, mother

Updated photos of my little ladies IMG_1336
Daughter, daughter, mother

I'm quite tempted to go on a hunt for chocolate for that coppery RY.

Unfortunately it's momma who's a poor long hair! But dad must carry it, right? It's not important as the long haired coats seem so unremarkable and I doubt I could improve upon it. I better make a decision on which mouse to breed soon.

If I found a reptile owner who could cull humanely (or rather, cares about mice too to ensure they are euthanized properly) I'd have no trouble with it. Happy

HAHA I can relate! Though at least in this case it's merely playing a game, however complex. Enjoyment can surely be derived from it! ^^

That sounds like a wonderful plan! It is frustrating how a degree is necessary to get in the door but it won't actually get you anywhere on its own. I chose biology over writing but am thinking that may have been an error as I no longer wish to pursue a Masters. Teachers here in Ontario are having a rough time finding jobs so I have no idea what's next!

Edit: https://2img.net/h/i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii623/LovelyMouse88/mussebrnmpels227.jpg

^ Is that what smoke looks like? And just to be perfectly aware, there'd be little variety with the blue daughter + beige dad, right? (I'm so sorry I'm always asking questions Sad )
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Blue daughter to beige dad would get you black and blue and beige and smoke, with longhair and not-longhair. To explain:

Since dad's beige and daughter's blue, we know that dad carried blue and daughter carries beige. That means he's D/d ce/ce and she's d/d C/ce. So, for each gene separately:

D/d+d/d=D/d, d/d
C/ce+ce/ce=C/ce, ce/ce

Meaning you'd get more of what you have. BUT, those things aren't connected, so in addition to getting D/d ce/ce (beige) and d/d C/ce (blue), you'll get d/d ce/ce (smoke) and D/d C/ce (black).

Each of those could be longhair or shorthair, giving a total of four colors in two coat types. That's a pretty reasonable amount of variety, imo. Also, I cannot id smoke by a photo because I've never seen one in person. Your photo looks blue-er than the colorpoint smoke that Finnmouse pictures, but the ch probably lightens it significantly, making cps lighter than smoke itself.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Laigaie, I hope you end up teaching genetics somehow. For the first time in AGES I feel like I actually understood what the heck is going on. Thank you SO much for that breakdown! Truly! I'm going to attempt to practice that logic with the pied RY and will post back if I think I figured it out!

Random note: I put the blue in with beige today but she was really not in the mood. He certainly was though!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Oh, beautiful! Beautiful! Thank you!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 pm

They are adorable!
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 am

Update: If she's pregnant it's sure not registering on the scale. I guess it takes a little time with some!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Seafolly, are you weighing your doe every day? Seriously? For me for Mrs. Beach's Litter Theorem? Oh, please send me the weights and dates and I'll tell you when she's pregnant!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Mrs. Beach wrote:Seafolly, are you weighing your doe every day? Seriously? For me for Mrs. Beach's Litter Theorem? Oh, please send me the weights and dates and I'll tell you when she's pregnant!

You bet! I didn't send anything yet because I wasn't sure you'd want my data. The first time around I was just too scared of weighing Tully and babies on their first day. Although I'm personally more confident, the doe I'm breeding has yet to actually trust me. (I know I shouldn't breed skittish mice but that's all we get here). Ironically, Tully is now much more calm. I would have bred her again if it weren't for her pointy face.

If you're still interested, I'm happy to send it over! I just assumed the data would be useless without the litter weight and such. Happy Oh, and she's only gained one gram in the last ten days, haha. Not in the mood I suppose.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Oh, Seafolly! The weights in progress give me the challenge of predicting the litter number before the litter is born! You will help me fine tune my theorem method, as well as provide complete data, after the babies are born. Um, I forget your real name. Send me an email and I will send you my revised data collection spreadsheet. You can fill it out on your computer and just attach it and email it to me as you update it.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm Bronwyn. Big smile I sent you the old one just to show you why I'm not jumping up and down yet, haha. Only 1g gain!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, Bronwyn! Thanks for the numbers. I'll keep you apprised of predictions by email. First prediction is 11 babies on 9/29.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down