The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

housing bucks with ASFs

3 posters

Go down

housing bucks with ASFs Empty housing bucks with ASFs

Post by madmouse Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:13 am

I've been thinking lately of getting African soft-furred companions for my bucks. What are you guys' experience with that? Does it matter what gender of rat I get? Do the ASFs have any special needs? Any potential problems with housing them together? And do I have to remove the ASF companion when the buck is introduced to a female?

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

housing bucks with ASFs Empty Re: housing bucks with ASFs

Post by Mrs. Beach Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 am

I've done this. Works best with a female ASF. They become devoted, loyal, affectionate partners, and yes, it's best to remove them when you introduce a female mouse to the buck's cage. You may also find that ASF's don't transfer well to other bucks, possibly because they smell of their original partners and the new bucks attack them. You might give them some time alone in their own tank (or with other female mice) to get rid of the smell before introducing them to a new buck. I currently have two female ASF's living with a buck and a sterile doe. The buck and doe lived together, first, and the ASF's were added second.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, Ann has great experiences with this!!!!
I have to say that I put a female ASF in with a male mouse, and the mouse reacted extremely aggressively. He had some screws loose anyway, but I have always been afraid to try again!!!
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down